"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wiki Assignment

 My wiki's address is:   http://khcplreference.wikispaces.com/



Early in the course I was challenged with the idea of setting up a wiki for my reference department.  We have moved into a remodeled department where we lack drawer space for our trusty "librarian's file" box of index cards, and file drawers for current notices and information.  Staff is notoriously negligent when it comes to following up on their email, so I thought a department wiki would solve this dilemma, as well as encourage participation, since every department member would be free to put their creative stamp and input into the project.  I asked our IT manager to set up a wiki for our department, and I've been "practicing" on it for several weeks.  The wiki I am presenting to you is an abbreviated copy of the one I have been working on for our department.  I do not have permission to give you access to our wiki - but I created a duplicate with similar (but limited) information so you can see how we are using it.  First, here are the specific answers to the management questions of our department wiki:

1.  Wiki editing.  Each member of the department was invited to join the wiki, and when they join they will be able to have full editing rights. 
2.  Wiki access.  The wiki is for our department only.  It will not be made available to the public, or to other library staff (although it could be - it is also on Wikispaces)
3.  Comment content.  This is an area for us to experiment with, but I think it is understood that since everyone in the department (including our supervisor) can see our wiki, we need to be discreet with our comments.  Although I set up a Home page which can include comments, I was intending its content to be of a general and timely nature - for example, posting birthday reminders/messages.
4.  Pages -I think we will limit the number of pages because we do not want it to be so large that it takes so much time to navigate and find things. 
5.  Training - Right now we are in the trial and error stage.  If we happen to be working with someone who has more experience, we help each other.
6.  Residence for Wiki - The wiki was created from Wikispaces.  Because it is a library wiki, it was set up with our logo, or brand.  Everyone in our department received an invitation to join our wiki - and they can then add it to their tool bar or Favorites to access it.
7.  Uploads - We do have the ability to upload files/pictures/content to the wiki.  This is most helpful because I edit an obituary database that gets loaded onto our library website once a month.  If it is April 29, the library still has only obituaries posted through March, so until now, we had to go through newspaper hardcopies to find recent obits.  Now, I can update the wiki with my updated file daily. 
8. Conclusion - I have had some valuable edits already made by fellow co-workers.  Whereas I set up a page of favorite websites (sorry, but it's easier than Delicious!) I copied in the URLs and made them hyperlinks.  A co-worker suggested we just make the subject headings hyperlinks - which was a great idea! Of course some co-workers feel the need to add redundant information...but we can tolerate that because it is better than their printing the info on a piece of paper for each one of us, OR posting the paper up at each desk, which looks tacky and cluttered.  The wiki has solved that problem!   This has been a terrific idea for our dept.  In particular, the ability to download widgets, such as the map feature, make answering directional questions over the phone much easier!  Eventually, I would like to figure out how to add updates to the calendar, but for now, it is helpful to just have the calendar!  My co-workers are very pleased with the potential this wiki has for connecting us all, and keeping us all on the same page!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear of the positive reaction of your co-workers! It WAS a great idea, and you did a terrific job with it. It's inspiring to hear how you and your library are using it.

    ReplyDelete