"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hey - (that's "hello" in Swedish!) (Session 12 blog)

This was a very weird week for me.  My husband, Dave, had to leave last Saturday for a business trip to Sweden.  All week long I was able to eat when I want (what I wanted ;-0) keep the TV channel on whatever channel I wanted! and work into the wee hours of the morning if I wanted!  Sounds good, right?  No, I missed him!  But I did get a lot of homework done, and for that I am relieved.

So, when I was not working on our technical projects or reading another book for my Political Science class (or building a new beehive!) I was learning to appreciate the job of a web designer.  There are so many more things to consider when creating a website, and I for one, am glad that is not my job.  It is a never-ending job, because there is always room for improvement.  I worked a lot on my wiki this week, and I've decided that even working on that gets my OCD in overdrive because there is always a way to "do this better" and "make this more interesting."  At least with a wiki the job is shared, not so with a website.  Unless you have content management....but then the issue of design and format still falls on the webmaster.

Team Audrey-Joanna-Melanie part 2 met  this week via Pronto to report on our library interviews.  One of us was poorly treated by the librarian, and that reminds me that the most basic usability feature of a library is its staff's demeanor and attitude toward patrons!  You can have all the latest high tech equipment and software and best looking website in town, but if you have rude staff, you have failed to be a truly usable library!

1 comment:

  1. Hear, hear! There needs to be a like button on blog posts. :) I just stumbled upon your blog. I think I'm going to like it here.

    ReplyDelete