"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Friday, April 29, 2011

Final Post! (Sesson 15 blog)

These past 15 weeks have flown by!  I am quite pleased to have been a part of the initiation of this Library Technology class.  Of all the classes I have taken from Ivy Tech, I can say categorically that this one has helped me with my actual job the most.  I was not totally ignorant when it came to certain types of technology.  I knew how to search the web (thanks to the class on Electronic Resources) and I knew how to search our databases, thanks to experience on the job.  What I was not familiar with was the new technology that is out there.  Wikis, Twitter, RSS, Delicious, Flickr, Blogs, YouTube, Library Thing, Goodreads, Picasa...these were names I may have heard of before, but was not at all comfortable explaining them to anyone.  This class has allowed me to not only increase my vocabulary, but speak confidently to patrons when referencing technology.  For that, I am grateful.  Plus, I'm so excited about our Department Wiki!  That is a tangible benefit of this class!  (And the fact that I've earn 45 technical LEU's does not hurt either!  Once you all start working in a library, you'll understand why this is a real benefit! ;-)

Since I tend to be a rather wordy person, I have not had difficulty "blogging" each week.  I am very aware that brevity is far more interesting, and so I will keep this last post short.  I enjoyed learning how to include pictures and sounds with my posts.  I gave my kids access to my blog, and they have enjoyed seeing themselves within the posts.  I probably won't keep it up....but I've learned to never say "never." 
I enjoyed reading your posts - especially the ones with links and pictures!  With that in mind, I will close this blog with an Easter picture of my son and his family.  This picture was taken in China on Easter Sunday.  May God bless you all as you continue your studies.  If any of you are near the Kokomo Howard County Public Library - please come see me on the second floor!

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I won't be in that area, but I have greatly enjoyed reading your blogs. I'm sorry you don't intend to keep it up you are/were very good at this. Like you I was less familiar with some of the newer technologies. There is a great deal available to the technology savvy person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet comment you left me on my blog! It made me feel really good. I've enjoyed reading your Discussion Posts. I always found them so insightful.

    I will be keeping my blog up so feel free to stop by and feed my fish anytime! :D

    ReplyDelete