"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Web 2.0 Projects

For my projects, I have opened a Twitter account, reactivated a Goodreads account, and plan to set up a Picasa web album. 

Twitter:  OK, so I am quickly becoming addicted to this.  I really thought this was going to be a waste of time - but I can see the value of the immediacy of the tweets.  I mean, I was getting hour by hour tweets of news from the news sites I follow about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.  I am mainly following libraries, political and news organizations - but I did find one of my friends in California and I get a kick out of his tweets.  Michelle Malkin has been tweeting regularly about her missing cousin in Seattle - and I don't recall hearing anything about that on the mainstream news.  Anyway - this has proven to be quite fun.  I see the value in Twitter as it relates to news and sports updates - but I still cannot fathom the benefit of personal tweets.  For me, Facebook status updates are hard enough to make and follow!  But, if you want to follow me on Twitter - just look for @hoosiervess, and you can follow me!

Goodreads:  I set up a Goodreads account a couple years ago, but have not used it for quite awhile.  I get updates daily from my "friends" on Goodreads, and I guess I was just a bit overwhelmed by the volume of reading they get to do every day because they are always adding titles and reviews.  For myself, I've been in the textbook mode ever since I started back to school so I don't get to spend much time reading for pleasure.  However, I did log back in and attempted to include some updated titles to my "read" list.  I plan to spend some more time writing reviews and commenting reviews, so stay tuned....

Picasa:  Since my other two assignments deal primarily with words, I thought this last assignment would satisfy my need to learn how to upload and arrange pictures on the web.  For years we took pictures with our 35mm camera, developed and then put in a shoebox until I get around to putting them in an album.  I am still stuck at the year 2004.   My husband promised me it would be different with our digital camera and he is right:  now we take pictures, and once every six months they get uploaded into our camedia file and never get looked at again! I would like to use this assignment to work on little mini albums with the 100s of pictures we have.  I hope you are not bored, but then again, I'm doing this assignment for me! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment