"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Friday, March 4, 2011

This Week in LIBR 105

I think the most interesting thing to me about this week's class was learning about mashups.  I had never heard the term before (unless I did, and just assumed someone was talking about potatoes...:-)  I was particularly impressed with the example the book mentioned where someone could look at a google map and have local landmarks indicated on it.  I am going to look into the possibility of including something like this as a link on my Department Wiki.  We are ALWAYS getting questions on where we are located, and it seems to me that this may be a helpful tool for us to view when giving directions over the phone.  Just an idea.

Another big deal this week was my signing up for a Twitter account.  My daughter may disown me, but, hey, it's homework!  For some reason, my kids are big into Facebook, but abhor Twitter.  So that will just be mine! ;-)

It was fun to learn about all the different social networking sites because there were many I have used.  My son has a Picasa account and that is how I view pictures of my grandkids and all their antics in China.  I posted a couple pictures from his Picasa account in one of my blogs.  He also has a blog post where he posts all these wonderful videos of the girls riding their bikes, talking, singing, and even sneezing!  ;-)  I am so blessed to be living in a time when this technology is available.  I don't know what I would do without it!  Also, I recently reactivated my Goodreads account.  It is a site where you can get book reviews from your peers.  It's been quite awhile since I posted to it - I think my last was when I read "Dewey" the Library cat...whew, that was long ago!  Anyway, I continue to get posts from my 'friends" and I need to pay more attention to their recommendations and criticisms.  Having this as a project for this class will get me back on track to participating.

On a personal note, my daughter and her husband (who recently married and live in Ohio) will be moving back to Indiana soon!  David got a job in Columbus, Indiana, and so tomorrow we are all going house hunting!  I LOVE shopping, and house hunting is shopping!  This is a picture of the newlyweds from our living room window.
I am now going to prepare my "social bookmarking" blog.   Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment