"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Friday, March 25, 2011

Hooray for Distance Education

I appreciated the pithy wit in Joanna's response to the question of whether we have participated in distance education:  "That's kind of a silly question! :)"  I remember thinking the same thing when I read that question! Hello - we are living, breathing examples of students experiencing the asynchronous technology the book describes!  If nothing else, the author's question shows that the textbooks used for distance education courses are no different than  those in the more traditional classroom!  There are a multitude of class options out there - and a week doesn't go by that I don't get an email adding additional classes to IUs offerings.  As participants in the distance learning technology I feel we are experiencing education in a much more hands on way.  For example:
  • Our class time is not limited to a certain time of day.  We can access and work on our courses 24/7.  We can capitalize on the time of day when our minds are freshest and most creative.  We can work non-stop as the inspiration allows, or postpone our work when life gets in the way.  I greatly appreciate the flexibility of distance education.
  • Our courses require us to become familiar with technology.  Even when I was taking the correspondence courses at IU I still had to learn how to use the course management system called "Dragon."  I had to request my classes and exams online.  Ivy Tech's Blackboard system requires us to become familiar with how it works so that we can acquire our assignments and tests!   Years ago when I was in college, (and I will confess that was BEFORE PCs were readily available - in the Stone Age!;-)) you went to class, took notes, and left.  When I "go to class" today I am navigating not only Blackboard options, I am viewing multiple websites and podcasts and links and increasing my confidence and skill in using the Internet. 
  • We are exposed to learning in multiple medias.  In a classroom, we get a lecture.  In distance education, we get to read, listen, and interact with programs such as our StudyMate link...which I find extremely helpful! 
  • We are more "hands on" in completing the course because we must discipline ourselves to get the work done.  I have always thought that part of the schooling experience was learning how to discipline yourself to "get the job done."  The teachers held you accountable, and made up deadlines and calendars to help you.  To a certain extent, we have that in this class.  In my IU courses, I have no such deadlines.  This can be extremely freeing....or, it can mean that I NEVER finish unless I set goals and deadlines FOR MYSELF.  
Since I work part time, I am so grateful for distance learning because I do NOT want to have to spend my time physically getting ready to go to class, and spending the extra travel time and gas money to get there, and worrying about getting to class when there is a snowstorm or tornado warning!     I can do my lessons in my pjs....and believe me, I have! ;-)  I can do my work while the snow falls, and feel nice and toasty in front of my computer monitor!  I feel blessed and spoiled!  I say, Hooray for distance education!  Enjoy the cartoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment