"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Self-Assessment of my Technology Knowledge & Skills

Ok, so technology is not my strong point.  That's ok, because that gives me some room to grow and improve during this course.   My results are as follows:

  1. Basic Computer Knowledge and Skills - 92 %
  2. Word Processing - 99%
  3. Spreadsheet  - 97%
  4. Database - 65 %
  5. Presentation - 82%
  6. Internet - 82%
  7. Web Development  64 %
I did take the test three times, because the first time I was a little hard on myself and tended to put "basic" when I should have put "intermediate" or "mastery."   The first time through I was thinking "could I explain how this works to a class of students?" and that pretty much meant mastery was out of the question.  By the third time I took the test, I think I was more fair about my abilities, and cut myself a little slack.   I definitely need more work on my database  and web development skills.   To be fair, I do neither in my job, so I haven't had the occasion to practice.  I believe this class will help me improve in the web development category.  I took the test for the final time after I had published my blog, and was pleased to notice I had already advanced in a couple areas.  My goals for this class are simply to become familiar with the technology that is out there.  I don't have to be proficient in each area.  I would be thrilled to enlarge my vocabulary with techno terms, and thereby reduce the "deer in the headlight" occasions when I haven't got a clue!   Let the learning begin!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it sounds like your standards were a little high. :) IIRC, "mastery" was described as being confident in the meaning and application of the terms yourself. That's a bit different than being able to explain them to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scores look great to me! And your goals are realistic and achievable--you're well on the way!

    ReplyDelete