"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Inital Introductions

Greetings!! I am a 52 year-old female who is working online to FINALLY get her bachelor's degree in General Studies.  I have been married to a Mechanical Engineer named Dave for 32+ years, and have three grown children:  Ryan (Purdue Communications  grad, age 29 - married to Kristen and living in China running an orphanage); Julie (Ball State Elementary education grad, age 27 - married to Daniel, living and teaching in northern Kentucky); and Brianna (Purdue Communications grad age 23 - newly married to David and living and looking for a job in Ohio.) Ryan has two daughters, Ellie (4 1/2) and Annie (2 1/2) whom I adore and enjoy Skyping with every Friday night!  They came out for the wedding last August, and I made sure we had lots of cuddle and reading time!  The one with the hairy arm is my son! :-)


We moved to small-town Kokomo, Indiana from crowded, smog-filled southern California sixteen years ago, and have absolutely no regrets.  (Okay, there was that time our old California house tripled in price after we  sold it, but I digress...)  Check out these links to see our old neighborhood and our current neighborhood.  I much prefer living farther apart from my neighbors.  In our old house, we would look out our window and wave at our neighbors in their home!  Ugh.  I invested heavily in drapes! ;-)

Once two out of my three kids entered college, I returned to work to put THEM through college.  I work in the Reference Department in our local public library (http:www.khcpl.org) , and enjoy learning new things everyday as I assist patrons with their questions.  Now that my kids are grown and graduated, I have returned to my scholastic endeavors and am working towards my Bachelor's degree, with a possible interest in one day getting an MLS.   IF I make it through the required Math class.  I have serious doubts about that! 

 

When I am not involved in the big  3 S's - studying, skyping or shopping,  I am usually taste testing my husband's newest wine creation, (hiccup) or running from my bees.  Yes, I have 50,000 bees...or rather, I had.  They tend to die off in the winter.  Hopefully, I'll have some left over and can continue my odd yet delicious hobby in the spring.  Here I am with both my honeys!

Here is a link to my Wordle creation, which lists my likes:  www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2965718/Melanie%27s_Favorite_Things

Just to be fair, I've made a second Wordle creation with my dislikes:

This has been my first experience with blogging.  I hope it works!




5 comments:

  1. Terrific, Melanie--a great start! (Way to go--it's only Wednesday!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog! I think that it's great that you decided to go back to your "scholastic endeavors", as you called them. There is a statistic somewhere that states once women leave college to start families, they rarely go back. So, GO YOU! Raising bees is a rather interesting hobby- is there a story behind that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that you have a number of classmates following your blog, and you deserve a following! I also appreciate how well you are following and responding to your classmates--an important supportive role! Keep responding to comments left on your site, and the conversation will flow on. Great job, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, Tifarah! Sometimes I get a bit frustrated that I'm the only one in my family without a college degree, but I guess that keeps me going! As for the bees...since I work for a library, one of our library programs was on bees, and it seemed like an interesting and useful hobby. I'm kind of a bit of a planner, and like to have foods on hand for emergencies and such, and so having my own supply of honey seems like it may be helpful in case of an emergency, or for bartering foods or services in the future. What can I say, I am concerned about our future economy! If nothing else, it is a fun conversation starter when I mention my husband's winemaking or my bees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beekeeper! Oh, Melanie, where have you been all my life! Honey is perfect for one of my addictions: tea! (Normally, with milk and 3-4 sugar cubes....)

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete