"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Monday, January 24, 2011

Dishin' on Delicious and Classroom Discourse

I am really big on bookmarking sites. Whenever I find a site that I think is something I would use again, I mark it in my "Favorites" in some folder like "Medical" or "Statistics" or "Used Daily" depending on what information the site provides.  I guess, you could call that "tagging" the site ;-)  Anyway, I was thrilled to learn that there is such a thing as social bookmarking - where one can post their bookmarks on the web rather than on the computer, and one can actually access other's bookmarks.  This is totally new to me - and I jumped at the chance to set up an account with Delicious to try it out.  Setting the account up via my Google account was not very user friendly for this techno newbie.  It seeemed like every other click I had to "re log in" again and again.  I never did figure out what my user name was....but I'm hoping what I gave you in the Discussion section will get you there!  Once on Delicious I found it quite fun to hunt for subjects unrelated to the library but very fun for me, such as beekeeping or winemaking.    Then when I hunkered down to search for library web 2.0 bookmarks, I found myself getting a bit confused and lost.  Would I really use this in my professional life?  Hmmmm.  Not sure.  However, it may be exceedingly helpful within my reference department to be able to have access to websites other Reference personnel have deemed to be useful.  This is something to consider.

Oh, and I have taken a look at the two blogs I selected for Technology information.  I'm big on the bottom line, and so the Seven Things You Should Know...on Educause.edu seemed to me to cut right to the chase.  It had a very interesting article today (1/24/2011)  on the technology of open-ended student response during class lectures, which I could see as being of value in larger classes.  Students could text on their cell-phones, IPads or Ipods questions, comments pertinent to the lecture.  For larger classes, this seems practical.  For smaller classes, I'd say it would be faster and more efficient to raise your hand and ask the question!  And seriously, are we really supposed to think that students who bring their cellphones, IPads or IPods to class are intending to use them to "enhance" their learning experience?  Yeah, right.  I think they would be more of a temptation to NOT pay attention in class.  Just my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Way to get started on the week, Melanie! Terrific post (as always)! I can tell that you are getting around to everyone elses posts, and reading them; I'm going to have to be sure everyone makes it to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on two counts, first signing up for the delicious account was frustrating - logging in one zillion times and second as helpful as phones etc are they can be a huge distraction in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I look forward to reading your Psalm for the day each time. This is a verse I especially like. The Lord has been good to me, blessing me continually. His Joy is my strength. Thank you for this encouragement.

    ReplyDelete