"He is no fool who gives up that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blog Blog Blog Blahg

I guess I picked a couple resources who do not post on a regular basis, because both Librarian in Black and Educause did not have new posts this week!  (Except that the Librarian in Black did  replace her previous slideshow presentation with an updated one, but I've already covered  the content in an earlier post....)  So, I decided I would post about a headline that was in our local paper last Sunday.  By the way, Yay Packers!      Sorry, just had to say it!  (I would have been rooting for the Colts, but they didn't make it!  - and I have family in Wisconsin....plus, I admit.....I love cheese!



Anyway, there was a front page article in our newspaper about how politicians are now using the social networking sites as ways to keep connected with their constituents!  It's a total confirmation to me that I'm in the right class - because this technology is essential to learn!  If you want to check the article out, here's the link:

http://kokomotribune.com/local/x2072622719/Bridging-the-gap

This week we learned about all the different methods of storing information, such as CDs, DVDs, CD-roms, DVD-Roms, magnetic tape, paper, flash drives, hard drives, and MP3.  I'm proud that I can actually now identfy the difference between all of these!  I know I am not alone at getting confused, because people are always asking me for a "tape" of a movie, when what they really want, is the DVD.  I will ask, did you want a VHS or DVD?  and they'll look at me with a "deer in the headlights" look.  ;-)  At least I knew the difference between these formats before, but this week I learned many more things about all the other formats!


I also enjoyed the lesson on Creative Commons.  This was totally new to me - and if I had ever seen a cc before, I probably thought it was a liquid measurement!  This is a logical step in sharing materials, and I'm glad to see it is available.  I was challenged in embedding the audio and picture in the blog.  I will tell you my first choice for a sound was called "stream flowing" which probably would have been a little less "bladder stimulating" but for some reason, it did not play.  So, I had to settle for "Stream Noise" and now if you'll excuse me, nature calls! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Now I have to go!I always notice craigslist has a lot of VHS for sale. DVD players are so cheap now, and do they even sell VHS players anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised about Librarian in Black--she was always very prolific when I followed her in the past! You were very creative about sharing other interesting things though!

    ReplyDelete